The end of 2009 and the dawn of 2010 was some what different from the ones from the years before. For one, it was the last year of the noughties and also draws the curtains for yet another decade, 2009 being the 3rd decade of my earthly existence.
It was, however, a sheer coincidence that I chose to do my annual work review with my boss on the very last day of 2009. The session proved to be very insightful and enlightening. It kinda set me thinking about 'stuff'....and so on the first working day of 2010, I decided that it was about time that I went with the flow and start being strategic about things at work.
I started this social experiment, I call it Project 'Hearts'. It is fundamentally about winning people over and getting them to be on your side. The assumption here is that with good working relationships, things get done a lot easier.
Move #1 - "Let's be 'Friends'"
For starters, I needed to take the initiative to show my sincerity to build relationship. Sacrifices was necessary. I ditched my usual lunch crew, explaining that there were new joiners to the team and I was obliged to lunch with the department. Half-truths are best when you do not want to burn bridges (Quote boss: You do not have to burn bridges, you can still lunch with 'them' from time to time).
1215h - I sashayed over to the area where M, C & L was sitting. E and A were on leave and EL was no where to be found. My original plan was to just blend in when the whole group went for lunch, and sticking to the new members of the team Y. This way, it would seem more subtle. But shucks, Y was nowhere to be found. Need to re-strategise. I pretended to read the papers for a bit...realised that they were not ready to lunch. Retreated back to my desk....consolidated thought....heard them stirring a little and talking about lunch...went over and asked them directly if they wanted to do lunch, M was quite nice about it and said yes. When C, M & L moved I joined in. It helped that A & E were not around. It was always easier to infiltrate a less guarded camp.
After latching on successfully, everything flowed according to plan. Conversations were cordial and polite, which was totally expected. After all, i wasn't current with their topics and I was akin to an 'alien'. As much as I am assessing their threat, they are assessing my threat as well. Whatever...
Bonus: Boss, Y, EL and Bear came to the cafeteria for lunch. Boss joined the table and we continued with lunch normally. After lunch, Boss IM me and asked how I managed to excused myself from the lunch crew. I told him that I told them the truth, well, half truth to be exact, but he didn't need the specifics. He acknowledged the effort to make the first move. Aced it.
Next target: A detail battle plan that demostrates sincere effort to form alliance
Moves: Lunch with the Home Team on all Tuesdays.
More social experiment updates in the next entry...
"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment