Sometimes, something so obvious stares us in the eye and we still choose to ignore it. I guess deep in our heart we all choose to believe that goodness exists.
I knew this colleague for almost 2 years now, and we got a long really well. She is the the sort that is friends with everyone and from my observation, she seem to be rather well-liked. Just the other day, during my performance review, my Boss cautioned me against hanging out with this group of colleague. He felt that we have created some sort of reputation that worked against us. He said that every single one in that group seemed to be getting a bad popularity rating these days. Till today, I choose to give everyone the benefit of doubt. I would not say that I do not trust what my Boss said but I kinda think that it might not be representative.
That said, some time ago, I did notice that colleague F1 has a rather loose mouth. To say that she cannot be trusted may be too harsh but she probably finds it hard to keep a secret, especially some hot gossip. There were more than occasion when I discovered that she had spilled the beans on something that I shared with her in confidence. I must say that took quite a bit of brownie points from her good friends rating. Oh well, what was I expecting. I knew long ago that it was hard to find friends at work. Relationship at work were usually out of convenience. It was for companionship and to make life a bit easier and time to pass faster. I am just glad that I have not shared anything really personal with this group and that this realisation came sooner than later.
Boss also told me that people found the F2 very fake. I actually didn't need him to tell me that. I honestly din mind just tagging along and cracking a few harmless silly jokes here and there. After all, it always helps to have one more friend than an enemy.
To be fair, the information sharing was good but I need to be smarter about what I choose to share with this group.
"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment