"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

20K Honeymoon!!!

Zhen just came back from her two-week long honeymoon in Japan two moons ago. Caught up with her over the phone, very very briefly and she gave me the shock of my life! She told me that she had spent a whooping 20K for her entire trip.

Sloth & I did a quick calculation, we figured that her air tics and accomodation would have approximately $7K, which means she spent $13K on everything else, meals & shopping! I almost fainted! That amount of money would be my lifetime savings to date!

She explained that she had bought a Tag for $2k and her new husband spent $6K on a camera. You see...he is very into photography...but it is till beyond my comprehension how someone can spent $6K on a camera! The digital camera that Sloth had bought recently did not cost much more than $300.

With the big ticket items factored in, she probably spent about $5K on everything else...for two weeks in Japan, I guess that is quite ok..

when Sloth & I were in Japan last year, we had only spent 1K...forgot whether that was with Air tics, accommodation & rail pass included or without. In any case, it is no where near what the newly-weds spent.

My guess is that they probably made quite a bit from the wedding. sloth & I for one, gave them a $400 ang pow and from what I gathered, their families were quite generous too.

But Sloth & I are quite happy the way we are, we concluded that we both derive more joy out of finding bargains that are value for money than splurging and feeling sorry that we did that.

When I told Piggy how much Zhen had spent for her honeymoon, she was shock but still felt that as long as it was a memorable experience for her, it was well worth the money.

I guess the value that different people affix to the different things in life are different. Sloth thinks that we are the sort that prefers to experience culture so when we were in Japan, we walked a damn lot..seeing things etc...living life the ways the local do. Some may think that we should kick back & relax for our honeymoon but I guess we will save that for our coming holiday in Phuket..

No comments: