For those other than the parents who are in the thick of things, it may seem like time has flown by to read the title that 3 weeks has past since Jamie was blessed to our family. I have never been a fan of changes and needless to say, coming home with a new life that is wholly dependent on me and Jeff is a huge change. Just when we have kind of settled into a comfortable with Joshua and is enjoying him despite his terrible two, introducing a baby changes the whole ball game. And maybe it is that we are suckers for challenges, just like how we were juggling wedding with home reno before, recon of the house and looking after Josh, we have brought things to a new level by being pregnant, managing Josh and work and now caring for a newborn.
At this stage, you don't really get that sense of fulfillment that people talk about. Instead, there is plenty of frustration trying to get the hang of breastfeeding, managing the jealous toddler and of course a crying baby that causes sleep deprivation. Jeff has been a great team player through it all but being a comforting husband has never been his strength. He is an engineer by training after all. He tends to go on the solution-mode most of the time. Doesn't help that my hormones are still having a rave party, so I get teary quite a bit. You just can't help it. I guess it is nature's way of helping one to relieve some pent up stress and frustration.
So come Friday, we will be holding Jamie's full-month party. From recollection, the real challenge comes thereafter cause it is also when my dearest confinement lady leaves us. This means that there isn't someone to pass the baby to when you need to run to the loo or when Joshua is fussing. It also means that we have to take on the night duties ourselves. And since I am on Maternity Leave, it seems only fair that I should cover night duties....wait a minute, wouldn't that mean I am on 24-7 duty?!! Oh yes, if you haven't realize by now, parenting is a 24-7 job and it is pretty much a lifetime contract. I guess there is always my helper and Jeff's mum around in the day if I need a break for a bit. Oh well, guess we'll just have to hang in there for a bit. Like they say, it all gets better as the kiddo hits those development milestones. Take it 3 weeks, 3 months at a time.
I am not sure if it is because we are leaving Jamie to Auntie most of the time for now (we know that we had better take advantage of this help while we have it), except for when she needs to be nursed, she displays rather different behavior from Joshua. It may be because I was inexperienced and overwhelmed. Josh was the sort of baby who cannot be put down and needs to be carried in a sling most of the time. He was also rather unsettled when he sleeps hence why Jeff and I were sleeping on the floor with him for a while. Ironically, I remembered the decision to sleep on the floor beside him turned out to be a great idea as we seem to rest better and so did Joshua. That said, I do hope we do not have to sleep on the playmat for the months to follow.
Anyway, I know I should learn to take things easy and take things in my stride, cross the bridge when we come to it etc. Am praying for God's mercy and guidance from the Holy Spirit to do the right thing. Pray for me too won't you...
"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment