Wow... i am one month into my new job. Just a quick recap of what has happened just before ileft my old position to plunge into a new environment.
Basically, I was pretty much done with the civil service. Sick and tired of working for just one man, sick and tired of working late nights cos bosses were sitting on things. Sick and tired of the endles work, there was never really a lull period of work-horses like us to consolidate and reflect on the work. After two years, i decided it was time to move on.
Just like many others, who were and still are stuck in the same runt, i was lazy and too comfortable in the present state. Maybe its human nature to resent change, i was reluctant to start seraching for an outlet. But i guess my darling grew sick of my endless complaints bout the shite hole. I secretly suspect it was for his own salvation that he poured through the recruit ads and cut out ads for me. he even spot-check to see if i sat on them or sent out my application.
After several interviews and offers rejected (yes, i rejected job offers, those that couldn't afford to pay me, those that din offer 13th month bonus- can u believe it?!!), i finally landed this job. Many felt that it was a pity for me to leave the ministry. I had just recently got a grade promotion, 10% pay increment and a contract renewal for three years. I was a senior (with the old birds leaving) and my projects were showing results. Most of all, i will have to give up the 21 days of leave and settle for 14 days. To put it simply, i donot see a future with the ministry and the lifestyle that the job dictate was simply not something that i was willing to come to terms with.
Anyway, i moved on, did my handover and pack my stuff. I went on a short holiday to Taiwan. I had always wanted to go to Taiwan, for a few reasons. First and foremost, my deat fren JH was working there. He had bought a nice 3/4 storey townhouse with his Taiwanese gf. It was huge savings to bunk in with him. Of course i had also wanted to visit him. Our group of friends had said that we were going to visit him but our schedules just din match and we had to visit him seperately.
Secondly, i was also very intrigued with Taiwan culture. Over the years, the Taiwanese culture was soemthing i had grew somewhat accustomed to becase of the numerous Taiwanese entertainment programmes which were airing on tv.
Anyway, i went and i am back. Love that place, the weather was cooling, didn't have a problem with sweating. Love the food, everything from roadside fare, KTV buffets, 168NT buffets were simply scrumptious! I fitted in perfectly..wish i could stay there for a while..sigh..
Anyway, once i was back, i attended a farewell lunch organised by my ex-company for me and a few other colleagues who were leaving. I was late that day and they started first. Not that i really care and i suppose they didn't care if i went either. After all, this farewell lunch thingy was just a formality. I jusr wanted to geta free meal and my gift! I had contributed to so many farewell prezzies so its only right that i get what i deserved!
I was quite disappointed as my pals from my ex-company seemed to have moved on. I mean, what happen to all those.."oh i will miss u so much, why did u have to leave etc ect". I mean, i understand we all will have to move on but it was barely a month after my last day. Surely things couldn't have moved so fast right. It just made the friendship seem so hypocritical. there i was sitting there with my closest colleagues but it felt no better than a awkward blind date.
So here i am typing at my new work station on a Saturday. Still getting used to the long travelling time to my new office, gettng to knwo my new colleagues, getting used to my bosses' antics. I am keeping my fingers crossed but so far, the workload has been manageable. At least i don;t have to work as late as i used to at my ex-company.
"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment