"Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison" - Georges Bataille

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Life is such...

Heard a piece of very sad news today, Captain Joe of China Girl, the yacht which Zhen’s company rents, has passed away yesterday from a heart attack.

We don’t really know Uncle Joe very well, in fact, we have only seen him thrice when we went onboard China Girl. In fact I didn’t even talked to him very much on these occasions so I came to conclusion that its probably because we just saw him a few days ago that created this impact. Like I told Zhen, it was just so sudden.

Then again, this is what makes heart attacks scary. You never know when it is going to come and take your life away. I don’t if you have the same experience as I did but when someone that you know passes away, apart from sadness, the next thing that you start to do is to recap all those moments, however brief, that you have had with the person.

For Captain Joe, I remember how he encouraged us to jump into the sea when it was raining as he said the sea was warm due to the disparity in temperature. We all had so much fun. I also remember him re-painting the yacht the second time we went on-board China Girl. I remember him asking us if there was dinner for him and I passed him a packet of chicken rice. We always bought him a packet of chicken rice for lunch when we went on-board. For the next few weeks when I have chicken rice, I will probably be reminded of Uncle Joe. China Girl gave all of us a lot of fun and that would not have been possible without Uncle Joe and of course, Zhen & her company. We celebrated JY’s birthday onboard. We watched Kari Pok jump ship. We played “Sea Volleyball” on a sandbed in the sea. We drank and played stupid games till we all merlion. Life is such..

No comments: